Some days are harder than others, and it can really put a damper on your mood when you’re having a bad day. It’s okay to feel sad sometimes, and it’s okay to want to find a simple and easy way to feel just a little bit better. From taking a walk in the sunshine in your favorite athleisure wear to getting all dressed up, here are nine simple ways to help improve your mood in no time.
- Revamp Your Closet — First things first, take a look at your closet and remove any pieces you don’t love or which aren’t essential to your wardrobe. You don’t even have to wait for a special occasion to decide to revamp your closet. Wearing your favorite or finding new cute women’s clothing can help improve your mood. After all, when you look great, you’ll be more confident. When you feel confident, you’ll be able to take on the world with a smile on your face. It all starts with looking great and feeling great from the inside out.
- Pick Bright Colors — One of the easiest ways to brighten your day is to surround yourself with bright colors. If you’ve been considering painting your walls or adding new decorations to your home or office, try bright colors that will help lift your spirits. The bright colors don’t have to just be at home or your office. Wear bright colors wherever you go by wearing pretty skirts in soft pastel colors or bold colors like bright pink or bold yellow.
- Listen to Your Favorite Song— When you’re actively trying to improve your mood, there’s something about putting on your favorite song that causes you to want to get up and dance. Shake your groove by listening to some music. Listen to music you genuinely like to help improve your mood. Different types of music can help change your mood, such as listening to a happy pop song with an upbeat and fast tempo. If you’re feeling anxious, you may benefit from listening to some classical relaxing music to help soothe your anxiety.
- Smell a Calming Scent — Have you ever gotten a massage and added on some aromatherapy to help calm your nerves? You may be surprised to learn about all the benefits that come with inhaling a pleasant scent. According to a study, different scents can evoke different feelings, such as vanilla bean for feeling relaxed and clementine for feeling energized.
- Try Meditation or Prayer — According to Duke Health, regular meditation can help reduce anxiety and stress, relieve depression, and boost your immune system. Many people who practice meditation repeat mantras or count while breathing. Find a practice that works for you by looking at videos online or taking a meditation class. Others take a spiritual path toward prayer, which can also help focus your mind on achieving a balanced state of mind. It’ll help reduce the stress and noise in your mind and improve your mood.
- Practice Deep Breathing — In addition to meditating and praying, even for just a few minutes a day, it’s also important to practice some deep breathing exercises. Far too often, we go about our day just breathing in and out, but how many of us actually practice deep breathing and take a few moments for ourselves to really inhale through our nose and out through our mouth? There are plenty of breathing exercises and techniques out there that can soothe your anxiety. Try alternate nostril breathing to lower your stress and help ground you in the present moment.
- Drink and Eat Healthily — We are what we eat, which means that to help improve our mood, we should be eating and drinking healthy things for our bodies. Eat plenty of fruits like blueberries that are high in antioxidants. Dark leafy greens like kale can help relax your body’s nervous system. According to a study from the Netherlands, the phytochemicals in matcha green tea can help improve your mood and overall cognitive performance.
- Help Improve Someone Else’s Mood! — Sometimes, we just get so down in the dumps when we’re busy focusing on ourselves. Helping someone else can help shift our perspective, and it’s beneficial for us, too, because helping improve someone else’s mood can help us feel good, too! Performing small acts of kindness can help improve your mood. Try some small yet beneficial ways to show someone you care about them like opening a door, sending a letter, or giving someone a compliment. Your smile can help brighten someone else’s day.
- Walk in the Sun — Sometimes, you just need to go for a quick walk in the sun. Put on your hat, sunglasses, and one of your favorite printed tops, and take a nice walk outside. It can be your exercise for the day if you’re able to get in at least thirty minutes of walking time, or if you only have five minutes to breathe and get some fresh air, at least you’ll be getting some much-needed vitamin D on your leisurely walk.