Can You Over Shock A Pool



How to Avoid Over-Shocking Your Pool

We all want a clean, sparkling pool, but if you don’t take the time to properly shock it, you could end up with cloudy, smelly or even hazardous water. Knowing how to avoid over-shocking your swimming pool not only keeps your pool safe to swim in, but it also helps you save money on unnecessarily expensive pool chemicals. Here’s what you need to know about when and how to shock your swimming pool the right way.

What is Pool Shocking? 

Pool shocking is a term used to describe the process of adding large amounts of chlorine to swim-safely sanitize a pool. The chlorine kills bacteria and other contaminants in your pool, leaving you with fresh, clean water. Depending on the size of your pool, the amount of people who use it and the frequency of use, you might need to shock your pool every week, or even more frequently. 

Can You Over Shock a Pool?

The short answer is yes, you can over-shock a pool. Over-shocking a pool means that too much chlorine has been added to the pool, resulting in an unhealthy swimming environment. The water may appear cloudy, sticky and slimy and can even cause irritation to swimmers’ eyes, skin and throat.


Q: How much chlorine should I use to shock my pool?

A: Generally, you should use about four times the amount of chlorine you would normally use for basic pool maintenance. Check the product’s label for specific dosage information.

Q: How often should I shock my pool?

A: Frequency depends on usage, but shock treatments should generally be done once a month.

Q: What happens if I over shock my pool?

A: Over-shocking can result in the water becoming cloudy and slimy, and can cause skin and eye irritation. If this occurs, reduce the amount of chlorine used.


For example, if your pool is 16,000 gallons and you need to shock it with a chlorine product that requires 2 ounces per 1,000 gallons, you’d need to add 32 ounces of chlorine. This is four times higher than the amount of chlorine you typically use for basic pool maintenance. If you add too much chlorine, such as 64 ounces of chlorine, you will end up over-shocking the pool. Reduce the amount of chlorine and test the pool water to make sure the chlorine levels are where they should be. 


Knowing when and how to shock your pool is essential to avoiding an over-shocked pool. Properly shocking your pool ensures your family has quality swimming time in clean and safe water. Remember, the right amount of chlorine is key to a healthy pool. And if you ever think you’ve over-shocked your pool, reduce the amount of chlorine and test the water to make sure it’s in the safe range.

Please follow and like us:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *