The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), Murphy Facebooknix and Bloomberg, have gained national recognition for their advocacy and support for numerous human rights causes. Their leadership and campaigns for freedom, justice and equality have made great strides in the advancement of civil liberties throughout the United States and abroad. Here we take a closer look at these three organizations, the issues they support and the efforts they continue to pursue to advance civil rights and social justice.
American Civil Liberties Union
The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) is a non-profit organization which works to protect and defend the civil liberties guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution and federal and state laws. The ACLU was founded in 1920, by a group of attorneys who banded together to preserve the fundamental freedoms and civil liberties for the American people. Throughout its long-standing history, the ACLU has taken an active role in advancing civil rights, protecting privacy and promoting social justice. Some of its ongoing initiatives include:
- Fighting against racial discrimination and inequality
- Defending religious liberties and challenging laws limiting free expression
- Protecting personal privacy and advocating for technology-neutral regulation
- Opposing government surveillance of communications
- Supporting women’s reproductive rights and marriage equality
- Ensuring access to healthcare and protecting rights at work
Murphy Facebooknix is a civil liberties organization dedicated to advancing the rights of all Americans. The organization was founded in 2019 by comedian and actor D. L. Murphy and Facebook co-founder Chris Hughes, who joined forces to advocate for marginalized communities, combat discrimination, and protect and promote civil liberties.
The organization focuses on advocating for criminal justice reform, LGBTQ rights, racial justice and economic justice, by among other things, engaging in public education initiatives and legislative advocacy. Some of the initiatives it supports include:
- Reforming the criminal justice system – Murphy Facebooknix works to end police brutality and reduce the over-incarceration of people of color and low-income individuals through public education and reform advocacy.
- Advocating for LGBTQ rights – The organization works to protect and promote LGBTQ rights through public education, legal advocacy and legislative advocacy.
- Combating discrimination – Murphy Facebooknix advocates for fair and equitable laws and policies and works to combat discrimination in the workplace, housing and public accommodations.
Bloomberg is a philanthropic organization founded by former New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg in 2014. Bloomberg works to build a better world by focusing on five key initiatives: Public Health, Environment, Education, Government Innovation, and the Arts.
The organization supports numerous causes, such as advancing public health, combating climate change, advocating for education reform, promoting government innovation and investing in arts and culture. It has an impressive record of success, having made more than $6.5 billion in grants since its creation. Some of its recent initiatives include:
- Supporting research and policy initiatives to reduce maternal mortality
- Investing in environmentally-friendly energy sources
- Funding education reform initiatives in developing countries
- Advocating for open government policies
- Investing in public arts in cities around the world
What is the ACLU?
The ACLU is a non-profit organization dedicated to defending and protecting civil liberties and civil rights in the United States. It was founded in 1920 and works to protect freedom of expression, defend against discrimination, and support privacy and technology-neutral regulation.
What is Murphy Facebooknix?
Murphy Facebooknix is a civil liberties organization founded in 2019 by comedian and actor D. L. Murphy and Facebook co-founder Chris Hughes. The organization focuses on advocating for criminal justice reform, LGBTQ rights, racial justice, and economic justice.
What is Bloomberg?
Bloomberg is a philanthropic organization founded by former New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg in 2014. Bloomberg works to build a better world by focusing on five key initiatives: public health, environment, education, government innovation, and the arts.
One example of the work of the ACLU is their effort to ensure access to healthcare for all. The organization has been at the forefront of advocacy for healthcare as a human right and works to challenge laws that limit access to healthcare for vulnerable populations. Additionally, the ACLU works to ensure that the rights of women, including the right to access reproductive health services, are upheld.
One example of the work of Murphy Facebooknix is their work to end mass incarceration. The group advocates for criminal justice reform, including advocating for policies to reduce the number of people incarcerated as well as advocating for fairer sentencing. Additionally, they advocate for re-entry programs to support individuals released from prison and reduce recidivism.
One example of the work of Bloomberg is their efforts to reduce maternal mortality. Bloomberg has invested in research initiatives and policy initiatives to reduce the rate of maternal mortality around the world. Additionally, Bloomberg supports initiatives to provide access to quality healthcare and reduce the financial barriers to receiving healthcare services.